Old 16-11-2013, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Well that's the end of the Dahlias

On 16/11/2013 18:51, RustyHinge wrote:
On 16/11/13 18:13, Spider wrote:

Only if you want lots of dahlias; not if you want vegetative replicas of
the parent plant. For identical plants, the tuber or cuttings therefrom
are essential.

Anyone tried eating surplus tubers? I understand that they were
introduced here first as a food item.

Suttons seeds launched dahlia yams this season
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/V...eds_147035.htm
They are supposed to be a cactus flowering strain, but what came from
the seeds I bought were very mixed, looked more like a mix of left over seed
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps01eb6c12.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps970e6e2c.jpg
It could be that some eat better than others, but the problem is you
wont know till it's cooked and by then it's to late to keep it as stock.
I have some 50 plants so I'll be giving them a go (With trepidation).
David @ a side of Swansea Bay that was rain free today.