Old 16-11-2013, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314[_2_] Pavel314[_2_] is offline

Default acorn squash

On Sunday, November 3, 2013 7:44:04 PM UTC-5, Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)

this season a few of those were acorn squash and

had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other

day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked

like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow

to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the

flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google and

found out that its a winter squash

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash

so that (and the butternut)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash

is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for

Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

We're in Maryland, USA. My wife cooks pumpkins like squash, served as a vegetable at dinner. She also makes excellent pumpkin pies. We tried making custard in a pumpkin shell once; I liked it but she didn't think it was worth the effort, other than for the novelty of the presentation.

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/m92cx4xc...n-custard.html

If we have a good pumpkin crop, we keep some to throw to the sheep as a treat during the winter.

Paul