Old 16-11-2013, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default acorn squash

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a google
and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a bush
standard.