Old 17-11-2013, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default acorn squash

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a
google and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular
vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except
for Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a
bush standard.

Oh my, you be talkin' Strine now, aren't you?

Numero-uno: I doubt that any Bubba worth his salt would know what a
Gramma pie was. It's just plain pumpkin pie in these parts.

A gramma is a cucurbit with orange flesh that is particularly made into a
sweet(ish) pie and AFAIK not usually eaten as a vegetable. Whether you
would call it a winter squash or a pumpkin I have no idea.

Numero-two-o: By bush (not Bush) standard I presume that you mean
common to unsophisticated rural areas. Au contraire, mon ami, Gramma
pie is consumed in vast quantities during year end festivals by
cognoscenti, bumpkins, urbanites, suburbanites, and all the other
"ites" alike.

The 'bush' is everything outside cities and major regional centres and
includes areas where your neighbours are a few hundred metres away and the
outback where they might be a hundred kilometres away. It is where people
tend to have land to grow large plants like pumpkins and the tradition of
doing so. I wasn't making any comment on level of sophistication, it's that
city folk wouldn't eat gramma pie due to the lack of grammas and knowing how
to make it.