Old 17-11-2013, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default acorn squash

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Billy wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
Farm1 wrote:
songbird wrote:

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a
google and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular
vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except
for Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a
bush standard.

Oh my, you be talkin' Strine now, aren't you?

Numero-uno: I doubt that any Bubba worth his salt would know what a
Gramma pie was. It's just plain pumpkin pie in these parts.

A gramma is a cucurbit with orange flesh that is particularly made into a
sweet(ish) pie and AFAIK not usually eaten as a vegetable. Whether you
would call it a winter squash or a pumpkin I have no idea.

sounds like Farm1 would call it a pumpkin.

around here grammas are people... some are sweet as pie.

songbird