Old 17-11-2013, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default snap dragons still snapping

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:59:10 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one of

each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an international

forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens think what they do

is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so. Just as we need to

allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg, naming plants such as

pumpkins) I think being explicit about measurements is useful for good

communications.

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric world. Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course people took the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem to have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew anything else.

I have always understood that the US pays a trade penalty with the rest of the (metric) world for labeling in English.

Maybe this has been remedied. Anybody know?

HB

HB