Old 18-11-2013, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default snap dragons still snapping

On Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:58:21 PM UTC-8, songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Apparently in the USA metric is approved but not compulsory (or traditional

measures are not forbidden) consequently there is no money available for

conversion and education costs so nothing is done.

it is taught in the schools and it appears on all

packages that i've seen in recent years along with

the other measurements.

Y'see, Songie, that's eggzactly what I was on about -- the two sets of measurements. I cited the awful, expensive, humiliating debacle of the Mars shot as an example of potential -- in the case of the Mars weather shot -- ACTUAL damage when 2 sets of measurements try to exist side by side.

Always on the search for a conspiracy g I thought of the wonderful Latin saying -- one of the half-dozen I remember -- "cui bono" = who profits?
Who DOES profit by retaining the anachronistic English measurement (a yard is the distance from King John's nose to his outstretched hand) ?

HB

songbird