Old 17-11-2013, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default snap dragons still snapping

"Gus Overton" wrote in message
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 11:21:10 AM UTC-5, Higgs Boson wrote:

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric world.
Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course people took
the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem to
have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew anything
else.

I have always understood that the US pays a trade penalty with the rest
of the (metric) world for labeling in English.

Maybe this has been remedied. Anybody know?
HB

mechanics have to have two sets of tools. (snip)

Well, 'He who plays with old British Sports Cars' and to whom I've been
married for more than 4 decades, mutters on about a larger range of tools
than just Metric and Imperial.

IIRC those tools names include Whitworth, BSF, Imperial, Metric and also I
think I recall BA???

I have no idea what most of those mean. I just mutter 'Yes Dear' when he
goes on about them just as I do now when he talks of 'preselector gear
boxes'. The sad thing is that I do know what a preselector gearbox does and
how to use one.