Old 17-11-2013, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default snap dragons still snapping

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:
On Saturday, November 16, 2013 5:59:10 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott
wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:04:08 PM UTC-5, David Hare-Scott

I wonder if you two are talking about degrees C, degrees F or one
of

each.......

Only use US American degrees where I live.

There is no such scale and this is not where you live but an
international

forum. It is peculiar to the USA that so many citizens think what
they do

is normal, even universal, but in fact it is not so. Just as we
need to

allow for differences in gardening custom ( eg, naming plants such as

pumpkins) I think being explicit about measurements is useful for
good

communications.

Many years ago the US made a half-assed attempt to join the metric
world. Road signs were po$ted with mile$ and kilometer$. Of course
people took the easy way out and the experiment faded away.

Apparently in the USA metric is approved but not compulsory (or
traditional measures are not forbidden) consequently there is no money
available for conversion and education costs so nothing is done.

OZ did the right thing; went cold turkey overnight. The adults seem
to have managed to survive with metric, and the kids never knew
anything else.

Correct. It wasn't really such a big deal.

Nope. I now do conversions form Imperial to metric very easily. Perhaps
that is due to having made furniture for a hobby for a while.