Old 18-11-2013, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RustyHinge RustyHinge is offline

Default Owls

On 16/11/13 20:16, sacha wrote:

Now I have to look for that mushroom book. I had no idea it existed!

Wayside & Woodland Fungi
by W.P.K.Findlay
including colour illustrations by Beatrix Potter

Frederick Warne & Co UK 1967

ISBN 0 7232 0008 4

Beware! The book lists Paxillus involutus as edible when cooked. This is
manifestly wrong: it is deadly, but unlike a lot of other poisonous
fungi the poison is cumulative.

This became known during WWII when a glut of P. involutus in Poland
coincided with famine. People began dropping like flies, and 2 and 2
were put together...

This information was published (New Naturalist series, Mushrooms and
Toadstools by Dr. John Ramsbottom) in 1953, and probably before -
though mushroom books were pretty thin on the ground in those days.

--
Rusty Hinge