Old 19-11-2013, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_8_] Ophelia[_8_] is offline

Default Owls

"RustyHinge" wrote in message
On 16/11/13 20:16, sacha wrote:

Now I have to look for that mushroom book. I had no idea it existed!

Wayside & Woodland Fungi
by W.P.K.Findlay
including colour illustrations by Beatrix Potter

Frederick Warne & Co UK 1967

ISBN 0 7232 0008 4

Beware! The book lists Paxillus involutus as edible when cooked. This is
manifestly wrong: it is deadly, but unlike a lot of other poisonous fungi
the poison is cumulative.

This became known during WWII when a glut of P. involutus in Poland
coincided with famine. People began dropping like flies, and 2 and 2 were
put together...

This information was published (New Naturalist series, Mushrooms and
Toadstools by Dr. John Ramsbottom) in 1953, and probably before - though
mushroom books were pretty thin on the ground in those days.

We have Antonio Carluccio goes wild
Mushrooms by Roger Phillips
Mushroom Magic by Michael Jordon
The Observers book of mushrooms and toadstools (pocket guide)

No lovely illustrations by Beatrix Potter though
?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/