Old 20-11-2013, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes - thank you.

In article ,
Spider wrote:
On 20/11/2013 16:19, Derek Turner wrote:
On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 16:10:32 +0000, Spider wrote:

I've often come close, but I've heard there's not much crop for the
effort. Is that what you find?

Not a heavy cropper but an exquisite taste

Also take the prize as the most difficult to peel!

I could live with the exquisite taste; not sure about the faffy peeling.
Can they just be scrubbed and cooked in their skins? Even more
flavour, if so.

I am boggled at the idea that anyone would even try to peel them,
as they have a very thin skin! Just scrub them and boil them,
though there are other recipes, too.

I have read somewhere that there's now a cross between PFA and another
potato, creating a good-tasting potato with less tricky peeling. Have
you heard of this, or even tried it?

I wouldn't bother. Now, if there was a variety that were less
susceptible to blight, that might be a different matter. The two
disadvantages of PFA are that it needs a lot of space to straggle,
and that it is very sensitive to blight. In my experience, it
gives as good a crop as any of the other potatoes that taste of
anything, but of smaller tubers.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.