Old 21-11-2013, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default acorn squash

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article , "Farm1"
wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
.
..
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Farm1 wrote:
"songbird" wrote in message

(snip)
this season a few of those were acorn squash and
had fruits. hmmm... baked a few squash the other
day (one acorn and a butternut). the inside looked
like the acorn squash we used to get. actually yellow
to orange colored instead of white and pasty. the
flavor was excellent.

I had had no idea what you meant by an 'acorn squash' so did a
google
and found out that its a winter squash
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acorn_squash
so that (and the butternut)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butternut_squash
is what we Australians would just put under the name of pumpkins.

Pumpkin is a staple foodstuff here in Oz and a very popular
vegetable.

Pumpkin is very, very rarely served here in any sweet form except
for
Pumpkin Scones (and they have become somewhat of a joke)

Do they not grow Grammas in the south? I thought Gramma pie was a
bush
standard.

Oh my, you be talkin' Strine now, aren't you?

Nope. Just plain old English.

Odd, here, there is a distinct prohibition against turning grammas into
pie.

That could all be solved if you Americans learned how to spell and use
language properly. Not knowing a donkey from a sphincter is unsttling
enough but given that the collective 'you' can't make a distinction
between
your pumpkins and your female grandparents shouldbe of concern to every
old
american lady as Halloween approaches.

Oh my, you've resorted to tarring all Americans with the same brush,
reducing unique individuals to a cookie cutter characterization. We were
just having a bit of fun, but there is no decent place for
dehumanization, but since you are just a ****ed, wanking Ocker, no harm
done ;O)

Well I guess that will have to be the last time I try a bit of irony without
adding emoticons.

You're not going to come out and play? :O) -- emoticon
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.