Old 23-11-2013, 04:52 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default yippee rain!

"songbird" wrote in message
we didn't get hit by the power outages last weekend
from the strong storms that went through, but we did
have a power outage here last night too.

Seems to be ubiquitous.

something
in the distance arc'd and lit up the sky a few times
while the power went off and on and then it finally
stayed off. four hours later it came back on and
things went back to normal. we always have extra
water stashed away to flush the toilets in case we
have the power go out on us. in the winter i more
worry about heat than anything as it gets cold
enough to freeze pipes and cause damage. we have a
gas fireplace so we can keep ourselves from freezing
but that doesn't heat the crawlspace underneath.

We installed another wood burning heater over the past winter and it has
improved out quality of life enormously as a result of selecting just the
right spot to place it.

Luckily for us we don't have temps that (usually) get low enough to freeze
our water pipes but I know why you'd not want that to be happening at your
place. I think we've had our pipes freeze perhaps 4 times in about 20
years. It makes for an uncomfortable morning but that's aoubt all the
inconvenience it gives.

These events seem to have become more regular.

perhaps two very strong hurricanes/typhoons so close
together will finally wake up the governments and peoples
to make much stronger changes... i can sure hope so.

;-) I really do doubt that will happen.

in the meantime i think we're only on the front edge of
this sort of thing, both frequency and strength are likely
to increase for some folks.

Yup.