Old 23-11-2013, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Possible to fix wind rocked tree?

On Friday, November 22, 2013 4:19:58 PM UTC, echinosum wrote:
My Nothofagus antarctica (antarctic beech) which, given the size I

bought it at, is about 15 yrs old and 20ft tall, is now at a rather

unjaunty angle as a result of the storm at the end of October. It's

probably now about 15-20 degrees off the vertical. There are no roots

unearthed. It is a very light and airy tree, not much more than 6 inches

diameter at the base, which is supposed to be its defence against the

very strong winds it gets where it grows naturally in Patagonia. And I

have removed some major branches from time to time as I have been trying

to enforce a single-trunked habit. Nevertheless as it is I can't move

it at all by using my bodyweight to push it, though I haven't yet tried

tying a rope high up on it and pulling that.

I'm observing some splits on the trunk no the side that has been lifted,

so I'm wondering if there is a bit of a fungal problem on that side of

the tree which weakened the roots on that side.

Since it's fairly close to my property boundary, and it's blown inwards,

I can't really put in anchor points for guylines on the side that would

be useful.

Any thoughts on what I can do with it? I really don't want it leaning

in this direction and I'll have to cut it down if I can't straighten it.

echinosum

David's comments seem sensible. ISTR one of ours at work some years ago lost some of it's top by wind damage and that sort of split and fell over rather than snapped so that's probably the nature of the beast.
These things grow fairly quickly as you've seen so in the absence of any disease (which is difficult to assess from here) I think I would be tempted to cut it down low and let it regrow (I suspect something like this which evolved in a harsh windy environment would respond favourably but I've never tried it)
Then select the best new shoot to reform the tree. If it does respond it should be more sturdy than before.
I certainly don't much like the idea of attempting to guy it up or shift the roots in any way.

Rod