Old 23-11-2013, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Peter & Jeanne Peter & Jeanne is offline

Default Possible to fix wind rocked tree?

"Rod" wrote in message

David's comments seem sensible. ISTR one of ours at work some years ago
lost some of it's top by wind damage and that sort of split and fell over
rather than snapped so that's probably the nature of the beast.
These things grow fairly quickly as you've seen so in the absence of any
disease (which is difficult to assess from here) I think I would be tempted
to cut it down low and let it regrow (I suspect something like this which
evolved in a harsh windy environment would respond favourably but I've
never tried it)
Then select the best new shoot to reform the tree. If it does respond it
should be more sturdy than before.
I certainly don't much like the idea of attempting to guy it up or shift
the roots in any way.

Rod

My two freestanding Wisterias have thrived under guyed conditions for
several years now.
You are in a reverse situation of needing to prop.
As with guying you must get the tree vertical first before attaching the
final support.
I use a mini tractor in pull mode. Push mode needed in your case - unless
your neighbour
would allow access for you to pull from - then attach the prop on your land.
imho - Excavating roots is not an option.

Pete