Old 24-11-2013, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default spring planting of rootbound tree; repot now?

I've got an Acer ceriferum (or Acer robustum depending on your religion)
which is scheduled to go into the ground in March. However I've noticed
it's actually gotten quite root bound in its pot.

Is is better to repot now, so that new root growth has a chance to take
place over winter, or leave it in the existing pot until I can bung it in?

My sense is that I should put it in a larger pot, then try to plant with
minimal disturbance later. Of note, although the ceriferum top is a bit
difficult (though currently healthy enough), the understock is regular
palmatum and so pretty tough.

Thanks,

-E

--