Old 25-11-2013, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default spring planting of rootbound tree; repot now?

On Sun, 24 Nov 2013 20:02:43 +0000, Pam Moore wrote:

On 24 Nov 2013 18:10:28 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

I've got an Acer ceriferum (or Acer robustum depending on your religion)
which is scheduled to go into the ground in March. However I've noticed
it's actually gotten quite root bound in its pot.

Is is better to repot now, so that new root growth has a chance to take
place over winter, or leave it in the existing pot until I can bung it
in?

It will make very little root growth between now and March so I would
put it in a Aheltered place and leave it till planting out, then "tease
out" the roots before "bunging it in"!
Good luck

Hi Pam,

If all goes well it will make some roots over the next month, at least I
hope so! The understock seems very vigorous which is a good thing since
ceriferum is a very fast grower.

I do plan on keeping it inside in a cold (but relatively dry) space.

Thanks,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy