Old 25-11-2013, 01:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default Shredder capacitor

Antonius Liberalis wrote:

In uk.rec.gardening Chris J Dixon wrote:

Further investigation is currently blocked, as one of the screws
in the top moulding, which is the first step to dismantling the
machine, has a one way head, looking rather like this:

http://www.alliedboltinc.com/product/10-24-X-1-inch-ONE-WAY-R/H-MACHINE-SCREW-STAINLESS~2263.aspx

and it fits in a recess.

If the screw is close to an edge you may be able to Dremel through the shank
along the join-line.

No access to the join face

If you have [access to] a mill and the part is sufficiently robust you can
mill the top off the bolt.

I haven't, but this would also take off the surrounding recess,
and I was rather hoping to fasten it together again afterwards.

If you have a drill press you might try putting a pair of holes in the
flats and making a pin-tool from a screw-driver (though the "like-this"
part you link to is stainless and hence likely to be tricky to drill).

I suppose it would just about possible to clamp my bench drill so
that it would overhang the shredder. The screw head is about 6 mm
dia, so the holes would by tiny and, as you say, not easy to
execute.

Extremely unlikely is a through-hole - but if so you could drill through
from the other end; often this will make the screw unscrew.

Access is only from above. The screw is in a recess, and close to
a raised surround, making it pretty tricky to get at. Removing
one of the ordinary screws in the symmetrical location reveals it
to be a self tapper about 20 mm long.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK