Old 25-11-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default Shredder capacitor

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
For some time I have had, and been very pleased with, an Alko
SP5000 Silent Power Electric Garden Shredder

http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/alko-sp5000-silent-power-electric-garden-shredder.html

It has a reversing switch, to deal with clogging.

Recently, it has sometimes stalled on starting, and the direction
of running seems random, and unconnected with the position of the
reversing switch.

The exploded drawing shows what looks very much like a motor
capacitor which I am guessing has failed.

Further investigation is currently blocked, as one of the screws
in the top moulding, which is the first step to dismantling the
machine, has a one way head, looking rather like this:

http://www.alliedboltinc.com/product/10-24-X-1-inch-ONE-WAY-R/H-MACHINE-SCREW-STAINLESS~2263.aspx

and it fits in a recess.

I have seen rather expensive removal tools, with a couple of
pins, but the reviews are, at best, mixed.

The simplest, and crudest, solution is the attack the screw head
with a Dremel cutting disk, and attempt to cut a sharp enough
edge to engage a screwdriver. This will inevitably cause damage
to the surrounding plastic.

Has anybody else had to deal with this?

I have a similar machine (Alko3500)
The reversing switch (adjacent to the on off switch) is a bit dodgy on mine.
(Poor design)
I have had to fiddle with it a couple of times.

Also there is an overload device that reverses the machine if it jams. This
might cause your problem.

If the capacitor was faulty, it wouldn't run at all, it would just hum.