Old 25-11-2013, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default spring planting of rootbound tree; repot now?

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 14:13:54 +0000, Spider wrote:

[]
Is it possible to take the base off the existing pot, then plant that up
into the bigger pot? It should allow the roots their winter growth into
good soil without promoting soft top growth. At the same time, the
whole rootball will have extra protection over winter. Come Spring, the
maple will be ready to romp away, whether you plant it out or pot it on
for another season.

Hi Spider,

I think that's basically what I'll do. I was concerned that I'd break up
the new growth (again) putting it into the ground in spring, but this way
I can be careful with it, and also keep it in a cold and fairly dry
(safe) environment over the winter.

Thanks!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy