Old 26-11-2013, 08:40 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
On 25/11/2013 11:25, echinosum wrote:

The splits in the trunk are vertical.

That's interesting. I would have thought that vertical splits were the
results of compression damage.
Aren't the classic splits that oaks and the like suffer from fungus, resulting in them becoming hollow trees, vertical splits. What do you mean compression damage - driving a vehicle into it? If it was bent over by the wind to cause local compression, that would be horizontal rather than vertical surely.

I get lots of little vertical splits in some of my fruit trees, but they heal. I think this is due to intermittent drought and water-plenty, so when it grows fast the outer parts of the tree can't keep up and split. But those are much smaller than this. The bark is still partly intact over the splits in this case.