Old 26-11-2013, 04:20 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
Time for a bit of clarification, methinks. Are we both talking about
the same thing? I was assuming structural cracks that at the very least
are through the bark and into the sapwood - maybe even into heartwood.

By compression damage I mean that caused by pushing down from the crown.
Normally, one would expect a tree subject to extreme winds to be
either uprooted or snapped off at its weakest point. A horizontal crack
would appear at that point, gradually extending inwards until it had
weakened the heartwood sufficiently for the tree to break off. That
would be as a result of exceeding the tensile strength of the remaining
wood at that position. Consider, though, that wood is much stronger
across the grain than along it. It is far easier to cut wood by
splitting it along the grain than across it, for example. There is a
very interesting discussion of tree structure and strength at
Trees: Magnificent structures | Natural History Museum

If a wind-rocked tree has good roots and high-tensile strength wood, it
isn't going to get uprooted or snapped. But that doesn't necessarily
mean that it will withstand compression, to the same degree. Also, as
you note, fungal damage might play a part. I found this at
http://www.arborilogical.com/service...-and-bracing/:
"Trees with trunks that have narrow angles of branch attachments may
develop vertical splits. Such cracks are often a result of structural
stress or storm damage. When such splits are found, immediate attention
is needed to prevent complete failure. Your arborist can advise you as
to whether the tree should be removed or if cabling and bracing is a
viable alternative".
Thank you, very helpful. Yes, the cracks are deep. They are also fairly low down, well below any major branches, thuogh not all the way down to the ground. Although there are indeed major boughs (present and removed) at narrow angles, the cracks are wrongly located to be associated with that. And they don't look new either, they didn't occur during the recent storm, and if they are mechanical damage they are old mechanical damage. If not fungal, I would wonder if they were caused by rapid growth. But since I hadn't spotted them before they must developed over the last year or so. I have read that fungal decay in oaks and the like actually helps them reduce the risk of being snapped off in the wind as it reduces their stiffness.

Given what has happened, ie the tree is now at an angle but there are no roots pulled out of the ground, it seems to me that any mechanical failures took place in the roots where I can't see them.