Old 26-11-2013, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
SteveB[_12_] SteveB[_12_] is offline

Default Summer in the sand

I live on top of some sand dunes. Southern Utah iron powder blowsand.
I know there are plants that love sandy soils, and some that love loamy
soils. Can someone give me some advice on planting directly into sandy
soils, really sandy. Or, I can mix it with whatever % of compost required.

I planted some watermelons this past summer. Nice spot. Sandy area.
Irrigation system. They didn't do well at all. I think probably I
overwatered them.

Help on dealing with sandy gardens appreciated.

Steve