Old 26-11-2013, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with watering

SteveB wrote:
I live in a basically high desert community of 3500' elevation. We
get our ag water for $100 a year. I have a sprinkler system, but the
garden is off one station, the rest go to trees and the yard. I
can't really program a lot of separate times on these timers, so I
think that my garden perhaps gets watered more than it should.

I am not a morning person. Nor am I heat tolerant. So, sometimes my
garden gets neglected. I know that a big key of gardening is frequent
checking to catch things before they get bad.

What are some insights into basic watering? Spray, or ditch? Top
water? Water just those that need it with a hose? Let it get dry
between watering? What is the trick?

Steve sw utah, 5a zone

In general there is no best way. You need to adapt to your limits and
objectives. If your water is expensive or very limited or you just want to
conserve it use drip irrigation. Flood and spray irrigation both lose much
water to evaporation and to flowing places that don't need it. But
installing a dripper system takes time and money. I would think that in
sandy soil flood irrigation would be woefully inefficient under any
circumstances. Using a hose is quite efficient but very time consuming. It
depends on the area to be watered, 100sq metres (1000sq ft) would be fine, 1
hectare (2 1/2 acres) and you would be there in the heat all day.

I suggest putting effort into both improving the water holding capacity of
the soil and heavy mulch would both be important as these will save water
overall and the number of times you have to water.

Also grouping your plants according to water need is important, this will
allow you to set a schedule of watering that suits the group and not over or
under watering a mixed bag.

Also schedule fewer deeper waterings rather than many shallow ones, this
will encourage the plants to develop deeper root systems which will support
them in dry conditions better.

If you cannot water in the morning then water in the late afternoon or even
at night, watering in hot dry conditions in the heat of the day will lose
much to evaporation. Fungus is not likely to be a problem with night
watering and drippers don't wet the folliage anyway like overhead watering.