Old 26-11-2013, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default Twitter OT

On 2013-11-26 23:06:45 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

After what Sacha said a few weeks ago I joined Twitter just to see what
it was about. So far it's totally boring such that I find I hardly look
at it now after just a couple of weeks, the available space for a tweet
is so small there is no meat in any comment, you can't easily follow a
discussion, not that there can be a decent one with such limited space,
nothing like as good or as easy to follow as a Newsgroup.
I might add I also went onto Facebook a couple of years ago and came
off after a few months because that was also boring, mainly mindless
chatter, and I didn't like the default security setting which were
dire, even dangerous for children etc.
Considering the numbers that use them it must be me, what am I missing
with this Social Media?

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

The large number of horti professionals who use Twitter? I'll have a
look tomorrow and post some idea of what's to be seen. Imo, it should
be viewed as a sort of 'alert' system, not an in-depth analysis. On
Facebook, which has no words/numbers restrictions, there is day to day
information about what gardeners, designers, nurseries, are doing.
There are groups that discuss different categories of plants and their
survivial (or otherwise!) is UK weather and so forth. Imo, it's a
mistake to simply dismiss Twitter and Facebook, because, when you DO
see how many gardening types use both, it's possible to see how much
more interchange there is on both than there is now on urg. But
please, do bear in mind that I was not suggesting either as a
substitute for urg but rather as a source of potentially stimulating
discussion on urg, if people look at those and blogs, from time to
time. Naturally, if urglers prefer not to do so, matters will take
their own course.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com