Old 28-11-2013, 07:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with watering

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:49:01 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott
wrote:
SteveB wrote:

I live in a basically high desert community of 3500' elevation. We

get our ag water for $100 a year.

!!!! What are you complaining about ???!! Count your blessing! I
pay nearly that much per MONTH, including charge for sewers. (So
Calif coastal). Am considering giving up growing vegs; too damn
expensive.

HB

[...]

Water for agriculture is not the same as domestic water, they are not
comparable at all. In my case I pay a couple of hundred dollars a year for
up to 26 megalitres (about 7 million gallons US). However I have to pump it
out of the river and reticulate it which isn't cheap. This water is not
filtered or treated in any way, unlike tap water if the river stops running
there is nobody to complain to and it has nothing to do with sewers or other
services.

In the southern half of California, the only differences between
agricultural water and domestic water a

* Agricultural water is not filtered; domestic water is.

* Agricultural water is not disinfected; domestic water is.

* Theoretically, agricultural water can be cut off in a drought, which
is a significant justification for a lower cost than non-interruptable
domestic water. Practically, agricultural water has never been cut off,
even during the worst droughts.

The significant similarity between agricultural water and domestic water
in southern Calfironia is that they both come out of the same aqueducts,
fed from the same reservoirs, supplied from the same snow-melt.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see