Old 28-11-2013, 08:28 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Help with watering

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:49:20 PM UTC-8, songbird wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I live in a basically high desert community of 3500' elevation. We

get our ag water for $100 a year.

!!!! What are you complaining about ???!! Count your blessing! I pay nearly that much per MONTH, including charge for sewers. (So Calif coastal). Am considering giving up growing vegs; too damn expensive.

there is so much more to gardening in an arid

climate that can help keep water use down.

plant wind breaks to help reduce evaporative

losses.

use deep mulches.

amend sandy soils with clay and organic

materials to help keep the moisture in place

instead of running through.

catch any heavy rains that produce runoff

so that it can soak in (swales, diversions, rock

walls, erosion strips and gullies).

use drip irrigation.

plant hardy species (not miniaturized fruit

trees) noted for being able to withstand the

climate, a few hours of dappled shade in the

midday can be important if the weather gets

really hot. fruit trees like dates and figs

are two i would plant in almost any dry climate

with enough sunshine and heat.

just a few things that come to mind...

songbird

Rain? RAIN? Did I hear you mention RAIN?! Whazzat?

HB