Old 28-11-2013, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default spot touch-on weedkillers - recommendations?

On 27/11/2013 19:12, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 27 Nov 2013 17:40:45 GMT, Al N wrote:

Hi All,

I sowed a new lawn back in mid-autumn. Now I can see a lot of weeds
appearing, along with the grass.

I remember seeing a weedkiller in the form of a glue-stick-like product
that you touch onto individual weeds, to kill them, has anyone found such a
product that works? I would like to avoid having to go back over the whole
patch a 2nd time, re-applying, to achieve proper eradication.

Many thanks,

Al

You're probably thinking of this:
http://www.roundup-garden.com/roundup-gel

No. It was a broadleaf specific formulation of 24-D in wax that would
kill weeds and not harm the grass at all.

Years ago, I think you could get a similar device containing paraquat.
I'm not sure that paraquat is still available, let alone in stick
form, because it's highly toxic and quite a few people died from
accidental or deliberate ingestion.

It is too late to do anything now this year.

But now is not the time to apply it, as it won't be very effective at
this time of year. Nor would I be too worried about weeds in a new
lawn at the moment. Most of them will be annual weeds, that a bit of
mowing next spring will soon see off. The ones that remain can be dug
out individually, or sprayed with a selective hormone weedkiller for
lawns, such as Verdone. But do it in the spring when the grass itself
is a bit more robust.

General advice is not to hit a newly sown lawn with any weedkiller -
even a broadleaf specific one until it has had six months or so to
estblish itself. I would be inclined to spot weed with a spray wand and
a Verdone mixture, but I don't think you can still get the wax pencils.

The closest now is this (but overpriced)

http://www.doffgarden.co.uk/product/...wn-spot-weeder

I would leave it alone until spring and apply a weed and feed then.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown