Old 28-11-2013, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Killing moss and lichen on and between paviours

On 28/11/2013 12:07, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 11:22:15 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 09:36:36 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.

Common salt will kill moss.

Steve

Hmm...Many years ago I scattered some ordinary cooking salt onto the
concrete path around our previous house to melt ice. The concrete in
those areas then degraded quite seriously over the next few years.

Calcium chloride is water soluble and although sodium chloride is more
soluble the net result is to damage the concrete. High density paving
slabs shouldn't suffer too badly but lower grade ones literally fall
apart. There is a village not far away that used the wrong grade on
their pavements and they are crumbing to dust due to salt action.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown