Old 28-11-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Twitter OT

"Jake" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

That is exactly my point, the small space allowed means there cannot be
any
meaningful discussion on Twitter on any topic.

Hmm!

My experience on Twitter this week:

1. A cat found injured was reunited with its owners within a couple of
hours (separately a photo of a missing cat was circulated to "tweeps"
in its home area; don't know of any result as yet). Twitter is
regularly used successfully to report missing/found pets.

2. I was searching for an out-of-print gardening book. The cheapest
I'd been able to find was £40. Thanks to Twitter, I've located a
nearly new copy for £2.81 delivered. Not the first time I've been able
to find out-of-print books cheaply.

3. Someone doing a sponsored walk type charity event needed high vis
clothing but had been quoted stupid figures. A few of us asked around
and initially secured the necessary stuff dirt cheap, then sorted
sponsorship for the purchase and finally printing with the charity's
details.

4. I was able to point someone who'd been quoted £45 for some pet
medicine to an online vet where the same stuff cost £24 delivered.

Is none of this meaningful?

Sounds good to me but how can that happen when only your followers or those
you follow see your Tweets? I cannot see how any of that can happen on
Twitter at the moment unless you have thousands of followers etc. I'm
obviously missing something important but I still can't see it despite
trying to. Perhaps it's because I don't Follow very many as some I've
Followed produce so much compost each day I've un-Followed them. A bit like
a Newsgroup with hundreds of post a day, just too much compost to wade
through.

If you opened your mind a bit, you'd be surprised how much you can
achieve with just 140 characters. It's a wonderful discipline for a
long-winded person like me.Granted there are lots of ways to get round
that 140 character limit.

OK, I'm still almost 6 months away from 60 but, for those years
remaining to me I'd much prefer to spend time where there's some
energy.

Turning the tables a bit, a while back someone asked a question on
Twitter which was the subject of a current thread here. I tweeted an
answer with info on how to get here via Garden Banter. The person did
get here and responded that the thread was a load of boring twaddle
about everything other than the subject it was supposed to be about.
She had a point!

There may have been good reasons to make this a non-binary group in
the past but I wonder how many regulars access this group via slow/pay
per unit links these days. Yet we stick to the non-binary thing. Then
someone posts a pic of a plant needing an ID (that posting needs a
roundabout course of action) and you can almost guarantee that the
ensuing discussion will be as much about technical issues as about the
plant. On Twitter, tweet a pic easily. Answer volume quicker and far
greater than this group.

Whilst you can't always answer a question in 140 characters, chances
are someone will know of a location where it's answered, be it website
or blog. Replying with a link to that is easily accommodated.

And the average question has an answership (is that a new word?) far
greater than here.

And a lot more professionals to chip in than here!

But, at the end of the day, my forehead is currently a nice curved
shape and I have no desire to hammer it flat. So that's my one and
only contribution to this thread.

And my final contribution to the group.

Goodbye.

Goodbye Jake, glad you like Twitter and hope I too get to understand how it
works and what it does that will be of interest to me. I will persevere for
a few weeks longer.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.