Old 29-11-2013, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Twitter OT

On Thu, 28 Nov 2013 23:13:15 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:
(Jake said this):
Is none of this meaningful?

Sounds good to me but how can that happen when only your followers or
those you follow see your Tweets? I cannot see how any of that can
happen on Twitter at the moment unless you have thousands of followers
etc. I'm obviously missing something important but I still can't see it
despite trying to.

I've kept clear here, but it seems worth pointing out that twitter is
widely used by business and in b2b situations. Full disclosu I don't
use twitter or facebook personally, not because I discount their worth --
which seems foolish given the success of social media -- but because I
don't need another time sink in my life. I do get, though, considerable
social pressure to do facebook, and it's clearly a good way to keep up
with widely spread family and friends; so I may get around to it some day.

As an example of the use of facebook in a gardening situation, here is a
link to the Maple Society facebook page, which I do look at when I find
myself needing eye candy.

https://www.facebook.com/MapleSociety

As for twitter, my wife is editor for a semiconductor materials
newsletter, and part of her job is tweeting industry news. Her followers
are CTO's and CEO's of major international tech corporations. These guys
definitely have no time to waste, so if they follow twitter it's because
they get something out of it. It is certainly possible to include enough
information in the 140 characters to determine whether the link is worth
clicking or not. Here are a couple of examples:

"At 14nm FDSOI is much cheaper, 30-40% cheaper, than Intel’s technology”-
Asenov @ST_World @GF_TechBeat @soiconsortium http://bit.ly/1bUXcH7

Toshiba Says New #RFSOI Antenna Switch for Smartphones Is Smallest http://
http://www.advancedsubstratenews.com...f-soi-antenna-
switch-for-smartphones-is-smallest/ … via @FollowASN

I hope that will help you understand some of the utility of twitter.

-E

P.S. Jake, it would be too bad if you gave up on urg, I've enjoyed your
contributions in the past.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy