Old 30-11-2013, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Help with watering

On Friday, November 29, 2013 3:26:41 PM UTC-8, songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:

songbird wrote:

plant hardy species (not miniaturized fruit

trees)

What's the knock on the hardiness of miniature fruit trees?

every book on fruit trees i've read recently

has noted that dwarfed fruit trees are not

that hardy when it comes to the root stock

because it is the roots which limit the size

of the tree. so the root system will not be

that hardy as compared to what a natural tree

might accomplish.

noted for being able to withstand the

climate, a few hours of dappled shade in the

midday can be important if the weather gets

really hot. fruit trees like dates and figs

are two i would plant in almost any dry climate

with enough sunshine and heat.

just a few things that come to mind...

and my reply was aimed more at Higgs in southern

CA, and not SteveB in Idaho (who has a much harder

winter climate) ( figs and dates).

Bingo! They seemed to have managed pretty well in the ancient Middle East to grow figs, which feature prominently in the Hebrew Bible. Or am I confused and thinking of Eden, watered by its two rivers?

HB

songbird