Old 30-11-2013, 06:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Planting Milkweed for butterflies

We have probably all been reading about the Monarch butterfly losing huge numbers because losing habitat in their wintering place in Mexico. Would be awful if we drove yet another species -- one so gorgeous -- into near extinction.

This plea from the Natural Resources Defense Council (one of THE best and most influential conservation groups -- think Robert Redford) asks us to help restore habitat by giving "Green Gifts" described in this URL:

www.nrdcgreengifts.org/gifts

Full information about the wintering places of these fragile beauties for populations East and West of the Rockies, can be found on this URL:

http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pol...ion/index.shtm

I didn't know that the Western population winters so close to me!

Western North American Population

Monarchs living west of the Rocky Mountain range in North America overwinter in California along the Pacific coast near Santa Cruz and San Diego. Here microclimatic conditions are very similar to that in central Mexico. Monarchs roost in eucalyptus, Monterey pines, and Monterey cypresses in California

We who contribute to so many conservation groups are understandably overloaded at this season when the solicitations come piling through the mail slot..

Just a thought...

HB