Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Dendrobium orchid

"sacha" wrote...

I took my courage in both hands and bought one of these at Morrisons
yesterday for £10. Checking some info about it online, I see that M&S are
selling them for £40, so I'm quite pleased with that! It seems to require
light but not direct sunlight, not too warm and sparing watering. It's on
the landing windowsill, which faces east and is probably one of the cooler
rooms in the house, so I hope I manage to keep it going. If anyone has any
advice or tips I'd be grateful to hear them. Are these especially tricky?

Dendrobium is a huge family so it depends what sort you have bought as to
the care needed.
Considering where you bought it I would expect it to be one of three
types...
Dendrobium nobile hybrid. These flower along and straight out of the stem or
cane at the leaf nodes. Day 20°C, night above 13°C when growing. Needs a dry
cool (8°C) rest in winter to flower well and bright diffused light and
moisture when growing in the spring/summer to make new canes, water from the
top. Likes humidity and (orchid) feed every other watering or a bit more
when in full growth. Repot every two or three years.
Dendrobium kingianum species and hybrids, Australian species, flowers
usually pinky mauve but can be white, on stalks from the top of each cane,
has a perfume. Grow as above.
Dendrobium bigibbum var phalaenopsis type. Another Australian species(or
have they now been separated into two). Flowers on stalks from the tops of
both old and new canes. More tropical so needs more heat, day min 20°C night
min 16°C. That said I have a friend who isn't a plants person who grows one
on her bathroom windowsill and it's a superb plant. Hers grows on a deep
saucer full of stones so the plant can dry out but the humidity is raised, a
good tip for all orchids.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.