Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Thinking of cyclamen

"Pam Moore" wrote

Mention of cyclamen in another thread reminded me of a distant memory.
Does anyone remember when a new toilet soap was introduced, in the
late 50s. It was Fabulous Pink Camay, and was advertised as having a
perfume that cost 5 guineas an ounce!
I went on my first proper foeign holiday to Lugano and somehow we 3
girls went up in the wooded hills. Under the trees was a carpet of
cyclamen in bloom, and smelling just like the soap!
I always sniff cyclamen in hope, but very few have any smell. I'm told
that purpurascens is the one with scent, and I have one small corm in
a pot and it just about has scent. I'm still hoping! None of the
others I've grown have any scent at all. The semi-hardy mini ones
which are in all the garden centres now occasionally have a faint
scent but it may be my imagination!

Try to find C. parviflorum
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.