Old 02-12-2013, 01:26 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadback[_3_] View Post
Can anyone recommend a suitable product to do this, the pavioured area
is quite large.
I have used a product called "Patio magic" a few times now. I suspect it is the same formulation as "Algon". Rather than spraying it, I tip a bit out of a bucket and push it around with a brush. Means it doesn't quite go as far as it says it should, but the effort saving is large. I think I may dilute it a bit when I do that. If you have a luxuriant growth of moss, then you will lose some to it soaking into the moss, and you might be better spraying. But if you do it say every second year then you don't get such a luxuriant moss build-up and the job gets easier. There is a smell of decomposing seaweed for a while after using it, but that goes away. It says on the packet that the algae slowly abrades from the surface over an extended period after application. I was a bit dubious about this, but it's true. Best applied in spring, when there is no immediate forecast of rain.

I have tried pressure spraying, but it was an enormous job, requiring me to direct the jet individually at every square inch of every pavior. A huge amount of the jointing sand came out and some paviors sank. I got completely covered in water and moss. And there was a huge and tough sweeping job afterwards. Not doing that again.

I (mostly) have clay paviors which have a texture on the surface of the pavior which makes it easier for stuff to grow than on concrete paviors.