Old 02-12-2013, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trevor Peacock Trevor Peacock is offline

Default Black currants breaking bud, roses still in flower

My Wallflowers are flowering! What will happen when the cold comes? Will
they flower again in Spring?

Trevor

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

This recent calm spell of very mild November weather looks like it is
going to cause some trouble. I noticed yesterday we still have roses out
and geraniums in good flower again (although showing some frost damage).
But the most amazing thing is that the blackcurrants are coming back
into leaf! This spells doom for them if the icy winter blast
materialises on Friday as the weathermen predict.

There are still a few oak trees with most of their leaves (yellow) on.
Again a decent winter storm will see them off too.

What is this mild weather you speak of :-) All leaves here are long
down; we've already had severe gales, all-day ferry cancellations,
frost, ice on the pond, and snow.

I've just collected 14 full black bin bags of leaves from a neighbour
who had swept them up from his large lawn and bagged them to dispose of.
Great stuff for the compostheap, sandwiched with seaweed (to be
collected this afternoon).

Janet.

---