Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default Black currants breaking bud, roses still in flower

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
This recent calm spell of very mild November weather looks like it is
going to cause some trouble. I noticed yesterday we still have roses out
and geraniums in good flower again (although showing some frost damage).
But the most amazing thing is that the blackcurrants are coming back
into leaf! This spells doom for them if the icy winter blast
materialises on Friday as the weathermen predict.

There are still a few oak trees with most of their leaves (yellow) on.
Again a decent winter storm will see them off too.

I would not say that Nivember has been particularly mild.. Here in the SE
we've had daytime temperatures ranging around the 43° F to 50° F, but for
much of the month around the middle of that range.We've had 2 nights this
month where we had a ground frost but nightime lows have ramged from 30° F
to 45° F. So I'd say temperatures have been pretty average for November.
October on the other hand was unusually mild.