Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Killing moss and lichen on and between paviours

On 02/12/2013 08:50, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 16:17:40 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 29/11/2013 18:21, Emery Davis wrote:

I hope you're right, that's certainly encouraging.

-E

Mmm. It could be encouraging, but it could also be the difference
between a good oak fence and a lower grade wooden fence. No offence to
your fence, Emery. Do you know what your fence is made of?

Well, Sacha's fence is probably oak, but mine certainly isn't. It's
autoclaved pine (or maybe douglas) from a local company; good enough as
it goes, I'm told in the local conditions the posts should last 50 years,
and after 20 there's no sign of rot on them. The rails are another story
though, I've already replaced a few, some have rotted around the nail,
most are still in good shape.

Posts tend to last longer because of their bulk. The danger area on
them is concealed in the ground of course. The first you know about rot
there, is they've keeled over! Hope yours last the full 50yrs. Rails
are more tricky because they can have water sitting on them for short
periods. There's nothing on the market (that I know of) that is any use
for preserving or waterproofing them. It might help if you could keep
wet plant material off the wood, but then you would be left admiring a
bare fence:-/.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London