Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default This is heartening

In article ,
says...

On 2013-12-03 13:32:08 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...
I wish we had the

old 'technical colleges' for those who didn't want to go on to
University but did want to make a career that didn't require a degree.

You just haven't a clue about career training; that's exactly what
countless local FE colleges and UTC's provide. Most apprentices and
young trainees attend college to obtain the technical accreditations
required these days. Employers get govt funding to take on trainees.
Colleges also arrange work placements.

http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications

http://www.utcolleges.org/

I was not talking about 44 (?)
colleges in England and Wales that are sponsored by businesses or in
some cases, universities and offer part-time courses, admirable though
the aims of those may be.

UTC's are state schools for pupils aged 14-19 funded by the taxpayer,
non-selective, free to attend and not controlled by a local authority.

CTC's or City Technology Colleges, are a state-funded all-ability
secondary school that charges no fees, most now converted to
Academies, statefunded no-fee secondary schools (there are over 3,000 in
England).

FE colleges offer trades and vocational training from 16 +. Most
kids under 23 on their first non-degree FE training after secondary
school, will get free training. Those under 19 get financial support to
cover travel, materials etc. Since every kid in England who wants one is
guaranteed an FE training place, most towns have at least one FE
college.

The older the student, the more likely it is that their vocational
training will be split between college and either work experience
placement or employment.. whether they are training in book-keeping or
butchery.

I am talking about what used to be available easily to all

It still is. This IS mainstream, state funded, free to the pupil
education and vocational training.

I am perfectly willing to admit that none
of my family has used thes

but during the few years I was at school
here in my youth, there were children I knew or knew of, who made a
conscious decision to take another branch in the road towards a career
but one that was full time and was state funded,

JUST LIKE NOW, and still available nationwide.

Janet.