Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Selective grass-killer?

On 04/12/2013 10:25, AL_n wrote:
G'day all,

Does anyone know of a chemical or commercial weedkiller that kills grass
but not other types of greenery? A lot of grass has sprung up throughout a
few sq mtrs where I was cutivating 'sedum rupestre', a.k.a. blue stonecrop.
Much of the stonecrop is very shallow-rooted, as I used curttings of the
runners, within the last few months, which are, as yet, still very shallow-
rooted indeed. If I simply pull the grass out by hand, most of the
stonecrop will get pulled up as well. There are other reasons why I don't
want to disturb the soil too much.

Your best bet with easily available chemicals is glyphosate on a fine
paint brush used carefully on the unwanted grasses next spring.

The only (sort of) grass specific weedkiller I can think of is Imazapic
and I'm not sure that anyone will sell it to you in the UK. It kills
some grasses more effectively than others.

http://www.invasive.org/gist/product...6.Imazapic.pdf

A broadleaf specific weedkiller is much easier to find.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown