Old 04-12-2013, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Frank Booth is offline

Default Compost heap too wet - what to do?

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Chris" wrote

Compost heap is a metre square and 1.2 metres high.
Too wet.
Should I repeatedly turn it?
Or what?

Just push your fork in the sides and loosen it a bit and then cover to

keep
off any more rain (not wet here?). Is it on concrete or something

impervious
to get so wet? If so try to raise it up to allow drainage.
The best and fastest compost heap we ever had was one surrounded and

covered
with builders polystyrene sheets so the warmth was kept in, material was
sometimes reduced to ash in the middle it got so hot if I forgot to water

it
but it killed any weed seeds. Two loads of compost a year out of that one.
--

Can I use a spare plastic wheelie bin to make compost?