Old 07-12-2013, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_11_] Sacha[_11_] is offline

Default This is heartening

On 2013-12-05 22:48:38 +0000, kay said:

'Sacha[_11_ Wrote:
;996097']

How many offer horticultural training, I wonder

No idea - but I know our local one does.

the PM thinks we need more collegess,

I thought he thought we needed more apprenticeships rather than more
colleges? And I'd be surprised if he thought we needed horticultural
apprentices - Alan Titchmarsh took him to task for likening the skill
level of horticulture to that of litter collection.

He wants more colleges. Those in horticulture want more respect for the
profession and for it to be shown as a career in itself, not "you're no
good for anything else". One of the people working for us has a maths
degree but prefers this work. Two others went to public school and were
told by their parents that they were 'throwing their education away'
because they wanted to work in horticulture instead of going into the
Navy or into banking. People who have gone to horticultural college
could (and ime, should) then go on to work with someone with experience
so that they learn both the growing and the financial aspects of the
job. I suppose it's a bit like a medical student qualifying as a
doctor but not going straight on to operate on someone's kidneys! The
potential outcome is a bit less severe. ;-) But to be honest, I think
learning this particular business by doing is an excellent way of going
about it, so in this area, yes, I'd be pro-apprenticeships.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com