Old 28-02-2003, 07:04 PM
BenignVanilla

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

Awesome! Thanks!

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
BenignVanilla wrote:
"Nedra" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I would go 18 inches, BV. That is the depth the books
on Veggie Filters claim is best.

Nedra, do they say why 18?

I am battled two design right now. One that has the filter about 12

inches
deep, flat bottom, with a slight slant to the middle to collect debris

and
make cleaning easier. I am also thinking of a having a more sculpted

bottom,
that includes different depth areas, hoping that may help in settlement.

Right now, the 12 inch deep across the board is winning. Seems the most
simple. I could be swayed to 18 though if I would gain some benefit. I

just
want to keep it shallow enough that I can get in there and clean it

easily.

BV.

Hi BV,

I just checked with article written by Richard Schuck, who
came up with the 10% Solution Natural Filter. He suggests
12" to 18" but doesn't say why.

His equation:
Surface Area of NF = 10% of Surface Area of POND

Water Flow/hr = 1/2 to 1/4 of POND Volume

Depth of NF = 10" - 12"

--
Bonnie
NJ