Old 08-12-2013, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Almost nothing grows here. Any advice?

On Sat, 07 Dec 2013 16:04:46 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

You could try seeking advice from Hartside Nursery (south of Alston)

http://www.plantswithaltitude.co.uk

or Pennine Perennials:

http://www.pennineperennials.co.uk

In Garrigill nr Alston and not a million miles from Hartside Nursery.
We tend to get plants from Pennine Perennials, they seem to cope with
the move to 1400' and exposed better than those from Hartside Nursey.
Hartside Nursery is at about 1100' but tucked into a small wooded
valley, Pennine Perenials is at only 1000' in the bottom of the South
Tyne valley but has a far more open aspect.

We don't expect plants from other climes to make the transition even
ones that should be tolerant of the conditions. Ones that do make it
also tend to be the ones that "take a year off" as previously
mentioned.

--
Cheers
Dave.