Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Bare rooted evergreens

On 08/12/2013 09:57, Jeff Layman wrote:
Anyone got any experience with these?

I am interested in using Berberis julianae as part of a thorny hedge. It
is much cheaper to buy as bare-rooted plants, but I wonder whether the
success rate in planting these will make it worthwhile.

(NB Other plants in the hedge could be blackthorn and Rosa rugosa.)

When ever I've used bare root hedging plants from a reputable grower
I've had at least 95% success rate. Go for it, after all that was the
way they were always sold.
When they arrive, heal them into the ground till you are ready to use them.