Old 09-12-2013, 05:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacdonald View Post
The frosts have come and unfortunately my garden is looking awfully tired and colourless. I'd like to inject some year round colour into my borders and flowerbeds if possible. Any tips on what to plant to keep my pride and joy looking fantastic all year round?

Many thanks
There are some winter flowering shrubs - I have Viburnum bodnantense (highly fragrant pink flowers from November to Feb/Mar), winter flowering cherry (white flowers from Jan to Mar), winter jasmine (yellow flowers October to March), hamamelis (witch hazel) - yellow, orange and red flowers flowers from about Feb, Cornus mas (yellow flowers in early spring).

But get get a really good feeling of interest at this time of year, look to long lasting berries and rose hips (for example pink and white sorbus and pernettya, red skimmia which seem to be disliked by birds), also plants with colourful bark (bright yellow or red on dogwoods, stripy "snake bark" maples, warm shiny red Prunus serrula, white and pink of silver birches), and a few evergreens which act as a splendid backdrop for, for example, white rubus stems.

At ground level, Cyclamen hederifolium are just finishing and the flower buds of Cyclamen coum are appearing.

then from February you can have winter aconites and early flowering crocuses.