Old 10-12-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My garden looks so bare

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 09/12/2013 16:04, rmacdonald wrote:
The frosts have come and unfortunately my garden is looking awfully
tired and colourless. I'd like to inject some year round colour into my
borders and flowerbeds if possible. Any tips on what to plant to keep my
pride and joy looking fantastic all year round?

Dogwoods come in some nice colours and there are a few variagated ones
that have summer interest as well. Flower are nothing special.

Plenty of things still have lots of red berries at this time of year and
at the moment I still have summer bedding pelargoniums in flower and
roses. I doubt they will last much longer...

Wallflowers are already out. No spring bulbs actually in flower yet.
Snowdrops and bluebells are visible above ground.

Not here, they aren't!

Hamamelis and mahonia are pretty early flowerers.

Even earlier is Viburnum fragrans (a.k.a. farrerii) and some other
viburnums. Mine is out now.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.