Old 11-12-2013, 12:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default potatoes

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 18:28:51 +0100, kay
wrote:

So from your point of view there is no point in leaving the potato
underground once the top has died back, and very good reasons (slugs) to
dig them up.

I leave mine in the ground as long as possible, until the temps start
to rise after winter. They just seem to stay fresher that way... but
yes, you obviously have to dig them up before spring time.

Evidently, I planted too many last year and have three rows
re-sprouting, which I don't mind.

I'm lucky that I have no snails or slugs here - thanks to my poultry
pest-assassination squad.

Mind you, whenever I forget to lock up the veggie patch, the ducks get
a good feed of potatoes...